This story was saved from the August 23, 1999

GT OnLine

Runner DQ'd for competing under another’s name

By Brian Eule/The Gazette

Race officials disqualified a runner from Saturday's Pikes Peak Ascent for racing under another person's name and registration.

Officials had Todd Goldstein of Colorado Springs finishing the Ascent in 13th place with a time of 2 hours, 38 minutes, 44 seconds. His predicted time was 6 hours.

Alarmed at the difference between predicted and actual times, the runner was investigated and disqualified after race officials learned Jim Adcox had run under false pretenses as Goldstein.

"We have enough information that says (Goldstein) didn't run the race," race director Dave Zehrer said.

Adcox was in the hospital recovering from knee surgery and never registered for the event, but he recovered quickly and wanted to race in the Ascent.

He called Goldstein, who was out of town on race day, and asked for his registration number.

"It was a mistake," Adcox said. "We told people at the top to DQ it, but they didn't hear or didn't do it."

In addition, his number was from the second heat, which follows the first heat by 30 minutes. Adcox actually ran with the runners from the first heat but 30 minutes was still deducted from his time, giving him the phenomenal time of 2:38:44.

"I thought it was taken care of," Adcox said.

Because of his disqualification, every man in the 35-39 age group moved up one spot.

WHERE'S HAWKEYE? By mid-race, Todd Rowader was ready to call it a light day. And that's the way he likes it.

A registered nurse in the emergency room at Memorial Hospital, Rowader is in charge of the first-aid tent at the finish line that is really more of a MASH unit than anything else.

This is Memorial's fifth year providing medical staff and Rowader's always been in charge of triage.

His job is to roam the recovery tent and evaluate the runners. Ones he thinks need help come next door to get it.

"We've got it down to a science," Rowader said. "We get better every year. The first year, I was bringing everybody in. When you run a marathon, you look like you need help."

The crew of eight nurses and three paramedics can handle anything up to and including the broken arms some runners cradle to the finish line.

More serious injuries have to go straight to Memorial, but the team could resuscitate a heart-attack victim if necessary.

Most often, they're bandaging cuts and scrapes suffered on the downhill portion or giving intravenous fluids.

They've got army cots, heart-rate monitors and bins filled with gauze pads and bags of fluid.

Two runners were taken to the hospital Sunday; one for dehydration and one for a broken ankle. That's not bad for the marathon, Zehrer said.

"It's never gone better," he said. "Even the weather cooperated. Usually, we're standing here soaking wet."

ALMOST BAREFOOT: Manitou Springs sisters Shelly and Heather Honken ran in sandals for the second year in a row. Sport sandals, sure, but sandals nonetheless.

They still finished fourth and 11th, respectively.

"I used to run barefoot in Mississippi when I lived there," Shelly said.

so this is a big step up for her.And Heather refused to blame the sandals for the fall she suffered near the top.

"Hey, everyone falls," she said.

DOUBLE UP: Dave Eckley finished 11th in Saturday's Ascent and fourth in Sunday's marathon, the first time he'd done the double. "I'm old and strong," said Eckley, 42.

ON THE AIR: A three-person camera crew filmed the marathon for a 4-hour History Channel documentary called "Tales from the Rockies." One 8-minute segment will be on challenges to Pikes Peak, from Zebulon Pike to the cog railway to the hill climb to the footraces.

The four 1-hour shows will air in January.

Luke DeCock and Lee Jenkins contributed to this report.

Copyright © 1998-1999, The Gazette
Back to 1999 Pikes Peak News Archives